LCP 15th anniversary celebrations

My school celebrated their 15th in grand style,
highlighting our only 2 claims to fames,
to coin a phrase,
i.e.

Chinese Opera
and
French cultual exchange.

Our students entertained the Frenchies and other esteemed guests of honour with outstanding performances by the Chinese orchestra and solo artists, a dragon dance, the rope-skipping team (male) and jazz dancers (female).







The French students sang a traditional song which they adapted especially for Lan Chi Pat, and ended their performance by presenting our Principal with a gift and flowers.

There was the usual "Ribbon Cutting Ceremony" which I thought is meant to be an "Official Opening"  ceremony, but we can't begrudge the Chinese their ceremonies now, can we?











Our nearest Primary School gave the most charming performance of "Lotus flowers on a Pond" and enchanted everybody.




I sat with the French students and teacher, and tried my best to translate albeit quite unnecessary, as he rightly commented: "This is unbelievable, we are watching a movie".

The show ended with the AMAZING Chinese Mask face-changing which is a closely guarded secret.
Watch the video closely, and you will see magic happening in front of your eyes.   Blink, and you miss it! In this video you can see the performer coming downstage and inviting our principal to participate.





After the show was over, the booth games started.   I was on duty at a mystery booth, and tried to locate it amongst the rest.  I knew vaguely that it was a French food tasting stall, but that was it.   I was asked to translate Bon Appetit!  (?!?) a few days before and that was all.   
So I'm dawdling on the playground, checking out the action, and suddenly I smell STINKY TOFU!

Then the penny dropped...

mmmmmmmmm  we welcome you Frenchies at our school, and as an introduction to our culture, we wish you many happy eatings as you taste our delectable delicacy,  BON APPETIT!!! you poor souls.

Honestly!

Then I saw the l-o-o-o-o-o-ong queue (of our students, of course)  at the "French Food" stall, and gagged a few times more.  Yeah right! You ain't gonna attract any Frenchies!


OMG the change is complete.  I am Chinese!!!!!


Peony (Chinese teacher who majored in French) and Moi (French 1 + lots of free wine at the Alliance Francais)  enjoying our Raclette, daydreaming of Provence, me for some Chardonnay...





250 servings later, the Raclette has reached the bottom.


We ambled towards the "Tea Reception" area where our colleagues were enjoying a very welcome respite, after having worked non-stop for the past three days.



A heart prawn




Madeline and I enjoying a quiet moment away from our very demanding French charges.



I must get this samoosa recipe!



I wanted to remember this moment, as I have never seen my colleagues sitting around doing nothing, just relaxing.  (Staff meetings excluded!)


The afternoon was spent by visiting all the booths and playing games with our students, and mentally preparing for the culmination of the day.

A celebratory dinner, Chinese style.




POON  CHOI


Jade and Mrs P showing off their Poon Choi Pants!



A good night was had by all.

What a pity our visiting French principal was MIA.

But that's another story!

Bon soir!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A walk through Quarry Bay Park